Monday, May 10, 2010

goober peas.

Saturday was a very fun day for Chris and I.  We woke up early and went to River City Cafe.  Its in downtown Fairbanks and it is adorable, it even has a bed and breakfast on the top floor.  We had coffee and homemade cinnamon rolls, they were delicious.  After breakfast we decided to go exploring.  We went to a pawn shop, which was full of animal skins and whale jaws.  :[  Later we lounged around in Rent A Center, obviously there's not much to do here.  We went to Aloha Grill for lunch, it wasn't as good as we had hoped..  

After lunch we ran home and grabbed CharLie.  We took her to the Chena River, since its right down the street.  Chris kept himself busy by "fishing" with CharLie's leash. haha.  I was getting tired so I sat up on the bank and watched them play. A drunk native man stumbled over and sat next to me.  He told me his life story and offered me a swig from his small bottle of vodka.  "No thanks. I'm pregnant,"  I said as I pointed to my belly.  He laughed and said, "Oh that's TOO bad!"  I awkwardly laughed along with him.  CharLie and Chris were still having fun by the water, I called out to CharLie so that I wouldn't be totally alone with this mumbling stranger.  The native started laughing, "Why do you call her CharLie?  That's a boy name!"  Well captain obvious, you're right, it is a boy name.  But it fits her.  [:  I just nodded and he kept laughing.  Eventually a boat came in to dock, and he said, "Think I can go see the boat?"  I assuredly replied, "Yes!"  He stumbled to his feet and hobbled over to the poor, unsuspecting boaters.  At least he left me alone.  [:  A dad and his two little kids came up to skip rocks.  The boy was seven and the little girl was two.  She loved playing with CharLie and she was glued to hip the whole time they were there.  She sat next to me and kept her hand on my knee.  Sitting on the bank, absorbing the warmth of the sun, listening to the water, and having that little hand on my knee, that's what life's about.  I can't help but look forward to my little one playing in the sand and running away from the waves.  The family eventually left and we hung out for a little while longer.  

We ran home and Chris noticed our neighbor Josh was working on his truck.  He jumped right in and helped out for awhile.  After they were done, we got invited to the dog park with Christina and Andrew.  We hung out there for a few hours and really wore CharLie out.  We hadn't eaten for awhile and by this point my tummy was growling.  I decided that Miguel's sounded delicious.  We've been there multiple times and I was excited to have some cheese enchiladas.  As soon as my food was in front of me, I went to town.  I had a few big bites, and then I told Chris it felt like my lips were on fire.  I was too hungry to care, so I had a few more bites.  I asked Chris if he could see a hive on my upper lip.  I couldn't figure out why I randomly had one hive, so I finished my second enchilada.  All of the sudden I had a mouthful of hives.  I could feel them growing in my throat as well.  Chris saw the panic in my eyes and we left immediately and headed towards Bassett Hospital. I had just run out of benadryl and since I'm pregnant I didn't want to use my epi-pen.  We walked into the ER and I filled them in on the situation.  They rushed me back and started checking my vitals.  I guess my blood pressure was through the roof.  It took them a few minutes to find the baby's heartbeat and that really scared me.  I was pumped full of liquid benadryl and an IV.  It was the scariest moment of my pregnancy so far, and I hope that my poor baby wasn't too stressed through out the whole thing.  I was eventually able to go home that night.  And I'm feeling much better now.  I still hate stupid peanuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment