Monday, July 12, 2010

memories with the family.

Family Vacation.

My family flew into to Fairbanks International Airport around one a.m. Sunday morning.  [June 27th]  We slept in a little bit after our initial excitement of picking them up and getting everyone settled into our small apartment.  At eleven a.m. we had brunch at Pike's Landing.  Its a restaurant right on the Chena River.  It was pretty pricey but the food and view made it worth it, to me at least.  



Monday was the big day!  I'd been waiting for months for this day.  I got up early and got ready.  My family woke up pretty early as well.  We couldn't wait to find out how many and what sex this baby was going to be.  After getting a little lost on the way, we found the "hole in the wall" clinic.  I got all signed in, and we got called back rather quickly.  As soon as we saw our little jelly bean kicking around, I asked if that was the ONLY one. The tech said, "Yep, there appears to only be one."  After breathing a sigh of relief [not that we wouldn't love having twins]  I let her know that we definitely wanted to find out the sex.  She checked its heart, spine, made sure it had all ten fingers and toes.  After finally getting it to roll around enough, she let us know that we are expecting a beautiful baby girl.  I cried.  Secretly I felt from the day I found out that I was pregnant that this little being was a girl.  But hey, what did I know?  It was my first pregnancy.  Anyway,  I am ecstatic to have miss Avery Jane.  She was 1.3 lbs and she may be a little further along then we thought.  I find out tomorrow at my doctor's apt.  I love you little Avery, and I'm already so proud to be your mommy.



Tuesday my family and I drove to North Pole.  Its a small city a few miles south of Fairbanks.  They have a really fun tourist stop called "Santa's House."  I'm not so sure how much my brothers enjoyed it, but my mom and I had a great time.  I got a picture on Santa's lap [which I'll have to get from my mom.]  And speaking of my sweet mother, she bought Avery her "baby's first Christmas" ornament.  Its darling.  [:  


Wednesday my family and I went to the Farmer's Market.  It was really fun, I wish we would've had more time to explore.  BUT we had to go see Eclipse.  My family is obsessed with Twilight.  haha.  I laughed throughout the entire movie, thanks to Ryan making smart little remarks the whole time.  Later that night we all went to see Toy Story 3.  Chris came to that one, it was great.  I cried.


Thursday was "family day" on post.  We did a walk around part of the base, at SIX THIRTY in the morning. I was a little beyond grumpy.  [:  Then my family and Chris went back at nine to shoot big guns and stuff.  Since that's not really my thing, I stayed home and enjoyed a little peace and quiet.  Love you family!  :]  After they got back, we got all packed up and drove to Chena. We hung out in the hot spring and spent the night in a little suite together.  It was really fun.  


Friday morning we went to an ice museum [in Chena], it was SO cool. We drove home from Chena and had a yummy lunch at Tubby's BBQ.  


Saturday we got up early and went to Denali.  I wish we would've planned it out better, but the boys had fun climbing up the mountain together.  My mom, Charlie, and I hung out in the car for a couple hours. haha.  During their hike, there was a huge storm.  By the time the boys got back to the car they were all soaked, so we got them new warm "Alaska" clothes from a tourist shop.  We had a great pizza lunch on our way back home, and all in all it was a really fun day.


Sunday we went to church and then went to Pioneer Park for the fourth of July.  We went into a little store that offered a "real Alaskan winter experience."  It was a room that was kept at 40 below 0 degrees.  We got a really cool picture taken and only stayed in there for a few minutes.  My cheeks are STILL pink from it.  ha.


Monday was my family's last day up here.  We hung out at our apartment all day and just spent time together.  I love my family so much, and it was one of the hardest things to have to take them back to the airport.  I cried the whole way home, but Christmas will be here soon.  And we'll be visiting Utah!  [:  I love you mom, Ryan, Dylan, and Bryce!


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time! I'm glad. :) I'm also stoked you're having a girl. That'll be so much fun. Denver's brother and wife just found out they're having a girl, too. She's due Dec. 23rd. When's Avery due, again?
    I miss you, Jes. I hope I get to hold that gorgeous baby one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you'll get to! We're going home for Christmas. woooohoooo. Ave's due November 2nd for now, but I find out later today if they've bumped her due date up. I hope that it does! I love being pregnant, but I'm more excited to meet her. [:

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys will have to come over one time over Christmas to check out our place and Rosco and all that good stuff. :) I'm very excited to meet her as well! :)

    ReplyDelete